The Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated continued its year-long celebration marking 50 years of friendship and service to the Baton Rouge community with a social event for its members and their guests held on Sunday, November 2, 2014 at the home of Edmund and Terrie Sterling.
Chartered on November 28, 1964, the Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated is committed to implementing programs that provide opportunities for community development in partnership with local, regional and national agencies. The accomplished and dedicated members are active in the community as role models, mentors, activists and volunteers who work toward ensuring that the name “Links” is not only a chain of friendship, but also a chain of purposeful service.
During this 50th Anniversary year, the members have continued their history of service to the Baton Rouge community with the following service programs:
Partnership with the ExxonMobil YMCA, sponsoring the Links Kids Zone
The Childhood Obesity Initiative
Links Rosebud Club, a youth mentoring program
Links International Foreign Affairs & Business Empowerment for Youth
Manna Givers at the Bishop Ott Homeless Shelter
Louisiana Links Day at the Capitol, legislative advocacy program with 8 state Links’ chapters
The Links, Incorporated, founded in 1946, is an international, women’s non-profit, social welfare and service organization. From its inception, the organization’s members have been developing and implementing programs that target issues affecting its members and communities. The Links, Inc. has a membership of more than 12, 000 women in 276 chapters in 41 states, the District of Columbia, and the Bahamas. Community service has been the cornerstone of the organization’s outreach with members contributing more than 500,000 documented service hours annually – strengthening their communities and enhancing the nation. The Links, Incorporated has been internationally known for its programs that are focused on topics such as health, economics, education, youth and policy efforts. Through its philanthropic arm, The Links Foundation, Incorporated, has contributed more than $25 million to charitable causes since its founding.