It’s hard not to be anxious right now given all of the uncertainty and upheaval the novel coronavirus pandemic has brought to our everyday lives.
Worries about contracting the virus, loved ones (especially older people or those with compromised immune systems) getting sick, losing income, figuring out child care, feeling socially isolated or not having enough groceries or other household provisions can be unsettling, to say the least.
Therapists, many of whom are now holding sessions via phone or video calls instead of in-person, are working through these concerns and others with their clients. The Huffington Post asked mental health professionals how they’re approaching the anxiety around COVID-19 with their patients. Hopefully, their advice will provide some peace of mind during an overwhelming time.
- Find new ways to connect with co-workers, friends, and family.
- Keep your daily routine as consistent as possible.
- Focus on what you can control instead of what you can’t.
- Be extra gentle with yourself.
- Cut back on your media exposure.
- Keep things in perspective.
- Make sure you have enough of any medications you take.
- Know that a little bit of anxiety isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Read more at The Huffington Post
Here are resources for mental health:
- 2-1-1 is a free confidential service that connects callers to information and services in times of need. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even during disasters. Louisiana 211 works to link people and resources for a better Louisiana through collaboration and partnership between nonprofit organizations providing 211 services, funding United Ways and the State of Louisiana Public Service Commission. Louisiana Association of United Way https://www.louisiana211.org To access 211: Simply dial 211 or text your zip code to 898-211 For COVID-19 information: Simply dial 211 or text LACOVID to 898-211
- ICARE will provide support to parents and employees through this difficult time. They will address concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org and reply within 24 hours with resources for support.